|The cattle market in the 1880s when animals were bought and sold in the streets. The street was called Bullock Market. It is the present-day Broadway. The parish church tower can just be seen in the centre background. As many as 12,000 head of cattle were shown in the street pens on market day. Conditions were far from sanitary! It is possible that this photograph was taken on 27th September 1886, the last day that the cattle market was held here before moving to the site of the present bus station/car park.
|Go on to NEXT PHOTOGRAPH
OR return to LIST of photographs