|A lighter on the river behind Wellington Street some time around 1900.
Lighters (craft used to lighten the load of larger vessels) brought Scottish or Northumberland coal from North Sea colliers at Kings Lynn to St Ives (and further along the river to Bedford). The steering pole at the bow of this one shows that it was the second lighter in what would have been a gang of five or six, pulled by two or three horses.
|Go on to NEXT PHOTOGRAPH
OR return to LIST of photographs